This past week we made some long-awaited changes to our platform. Â I have been lobbying for this since last December and was pretty excited to see this finally happen. Â The drum booth that has been here since long before I came on staff last year just wasn’t cutting it. Â The design was terrible. Â We couldn’t see the drummer because it was mostly solid wood with just a little clear plexi on the top, and it didn’t contain sound in our room because there was no lid on the thing.
The first step was to remove stair-step choir risers at the rear of our platform. Â We kept the elevation at about 14″ above our main platform so that the drums would be up a bit, and now in the center of the room. Â There was quite a bit to rebuild and we still had to have a second step because of existing concrete. Â Then we installed carpet to match.
I designed a new drum enclosure that has full plexiglass on the front and sides, with a sound-absorbing lid. Â I did not do a full enclosure with a back because we wouldn’t have any way to control the temperature in the booth, and since we live in the desert…that’s a fairly important consideration. Â To handle the sound coming out the back of the booth we’ve placed a couple initial panels directly behind the booth, and then installed Owens-Corning 703 rigid fiberglass insulation covered in burlap on the walls at the rear of our platform to absorb a good deal of the sound.
We’ll still be working out the kinks and tweaking things for the next few weeks, but the difference has been very obvious right away. Â Our Audio Tech Crew will now be able to control more tone and levels and mix the drums into the mains. Â This allows for so much more control over the volume in our room, an important component to mixing worship services, or any live band for that matter. Â Another huge benefit is that our entire team can now see each other. Â No more missed cues to the drummer, or between the drummer and bass player because he’s hidden behind a wall.
Thanks to everyone on our crew who helped make this happen!